Planning a trip can become very overwhelming, very quickly. Sometimes just deciding where to go can be really difficult let alone planning the things to do! Personally, I used to procrastinate and just hope for the best because there were so many things to research and I felt like I was drowning in a sea of information.
Luckily, over the years I’ve picked up some tricks on how to effectively plan your trip without feeling like overwhelmed. By answering these simple questions you’ll gain a better understanding of where you want to go and what you want to do thereby making planning much, much easier.
1. What do you want to do? Do you just want to sit on a beach sipping mojitos all day or do you want to walk around exploring new cities/places everyday?
2. What’s your budget? Will you be staying in hostels or hotels? Eating in restaurants daily or going to the local supermarket to buy and make your own food?
3. What kind of weather do you want? Do you want to be somewhere cool or hot? Do you mind rain?
4. What are you interested in seeing or gaining from your trip? Do you want to learn about architecture? History? Asian Temples? Beaches? Stay in areas with more locals than tourists? Parties? A mix of everything? Adventures like ziplining through jungles?
5. What types of activities do you want to do? Water sports like snorkeling/scuba diving? Hiking? Fishing? Walking around? Tourist excursions?
6. Do you want to plan everything yourself or book fully guided tour like the trips offered by travel agencies?
7. How long is the trip going to be? Will you have enough time to take a bus or train to a bordering country?
8. Do you want to backpack and hop from place to place or stay in one city for the whole trip?
Once you can answer these questions, you’ll be able to start researching the best countries that offer the things you want and will make your life so much easier!