Full disclosure: I’ve never done any travelling completely alone however, I have been alone while on vacation several times. Andrew has really sensitive skin so he doesn’t like being in the heat, the sun, the water or on the beach in general. I, on the other hand, could spend all day at the beach, in the sun and in the water. We like different things, so we do different things and meet up at some point later on in the day.
Being alone on vacation isn’t necessarily a bad thing and can open you up to totally new and different experiences that you might not have if you’re always with someone else.
Here are a few ways to be okay with being alone on vacation:
- Accept that you are alone and open yourself up to meeting new people, be more social and smile more.
- When you’re at the bar getting another drink, start a conversation with someone there. One of the best conversation starters is “Hi, where are you from?”
- If you see people playing a game of volleyball or any team sport, ask if you can join them. Don’t be afraid of people! Based on my experience, while on vacation people are way more open to making friends than any other time. And if in doubt take another shot, it’ll give you some added courage 🙂
- Finally get into that book you’ve been meaning to read…or not. To tell you the truth, I brought my book with me everyday and didn’t read it lol. I read one chapter, would look around, get a drink, relax, listen to the atmosphere and just took in my surroundings. I’m in the zone when I’m at the beach so it’s nice to just soak it all in.
- Don’t bring any valuables with you at the beach so you can go to the ocean for a dip without being paranoid. While in there strike up a conversation with someone there. Sometimes there are groups of people, sometimes there’s another solo traveller. (Or if they’re like me they’re alone because the person they’re travelling with can’t handle the heat and would prefer being in the A/C room.) Some of the most inspiring conversations I’ve had on vacation have been with people I’ve met while swimming alone in the ocean. Remember while swimming alone, always be safe.
- Bring your pen and notebook and write. You can write about anything. Journal about the day you’ve had, write down that business idea that struck you, plan ahead, set goals and think about life and write it all down.
- One of the best parts about travelling alone is that you make the rules. You set your itinerary and there’s no one to argue with you or put in their two cents as to what you guys should do. Before you get to your destination research the best things to do and plan each day. Or don’t do any planning and go with the flow. Your rules, do it your way.
- Bring your mini speaker and listen to music at the pool or beach. I suggest a speaker because once you put in headphones you are closing yourself off from other people.
- Enjoy yourself. Get to know yourself. Relax and just be. It’s really not that bad keeping yourself company. You’re awesome 🙂